WiX (Windows Installer XML) is a toolset that builds Windows Installation Packages from XML Source Code. It provides a command-line environment that developers may integrate into their build processes to build MSI (Microsoft Installer) packages. WiX is an open source project. This toolset is written in C#.
.NET Framework (Required on Developer’s system).
WiX Binaries and SDK(Required on Developer’s system).
Note: The installation packages built with this toolset do not require any software to be installed on the target computer.
Features and advantages of the toolset:
· Declarative approach
· Unrestricted access to Windows Installer functionality
· Source code instead of GUI-based assembly of information
· Complete integration into application build processes
· Possible integration with application development
· Support for team development, both in-house and third-party
· Free, open source